en: Names of the Prophet (salla Allah 'aelihi wa sallam)

nur.nu

en: Names of the Prophet (salla Allah 'aelihi wa sallam)

Post by nur.nu »

Names of the Prophet
(salla Allah 'aelihi wa sallam)
in Dalail al-Khayrat
by Shaykh Muhamma ibn Suleyman Al-Jazuli al-Simlali al-Hassani al-Maghribi

http://kutub.nur.nu/English/Dalail-al-K ... anslit.pdf (http://naksibendi.org/delail.pdf) p. 26 onwards
http://kutub.nur.nu/English/Dalail-al-Khayrat-eng.pdf p. 30-36
nur.nu

Re: en: Names of the Prophet (salla Allah 'aelihi wa sallam)

Post by nur.nu »

Explanation of the Names of the Prophet (s)
SHARH ASMA' AL-NABI: Explanation of the names of the Prophet
by Shaykh Gibril F Haddad
http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=117&CATE=24

EXPLANATION OF THE NAMES OF THE PROPHET,
ALLAH'S BLESSINGS AND PEACE UPON HIM

Excerpted with permission from Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani's _Repudiation of "Salafi" Innovations_ Vol. II (ASFA, forthcoming, insha Allah).

This is the explanation of the Names of the Prophet Muhammad Peace be upon him, as set forth by Shaykh al-Islam, the last of the major hadith masters, al-hafiz,

Sayyidi Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti (d. 911) in his book al-Riyad al-aniqa fi sharh asma' khayr al-khaliqa sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam

edited by the Lebanese hadith scholar Abu Hajir Muhammad al-Sa`id ibn Basyuni Zaghlul and published in Beirut by Dar al-kutub al-`ilmiyya (1405/1985).

Suyuti says: It is my hope that Allah accept this book and that through this book I will gain the Messenger's intercession. Perhaps it shall be that Allah make it the seal of all my works, and grant me what I have asked Him with longing regarding the Honorable One. I have named it "The beautiful gardens: Explanation of the names of the Best of Creation."

One of the commentaries notes that the scholars have said that the multitude of names points to the greatness of the named and his loftiness of rank, because it supposes great care and importance. That is why among the Arabs you will see that the objects with the most names are those who commend the greatest endeavor and effort.

Some have said: The Prophet has ninety-nine names, like the Beautiful Names of Allah. Ibn Dihya, however, avered three hundred names. Imam Abu Bakr Ibn al-`Arabi in his commentary on Tirmidhi (`Aridat al-ahwadhi 10:281) mentions one thousand names, some being mentioned in the Qur'an and hadith while others are found in the ancient books.

I say: Some of his names came to us in the form of a verb or a verbal noun, and a large number of the scholars including al- Qadi `Iyad and Ibn Dihya include those among the names. This is what the large majority of the scholars, especially those of hadith, have done with regard to Allah's names.

As for the Prophet's saying: "I have five names..." (Bukhari and Muslim):

It does not contradict the fact that he has more than that, because it is one of the rules of the principles (qawa`id al-usul) that the number is not understood exclusively (al-`adadu la yukhassas). How many hadiths have mentioned numbers which are not meant to convey exclusivity, for example: "Seven will enjoy the shade of Allah's Throne" (Bukhari), while other hadiths mention more than that; I have about seventy or more among the more famous ones.

I also consider that the wording "five" needs investigation, and if it is established, then perhaps it comes from the nearest narrator, because most of the narrations have: "I have (many) names" (inna li asma'), and some of the narrations also mention six instead of five, while Jubayr's narration mentions more than that. Ibn `Asakir addressed this in his Mubhimat al- Qur'an and said:

It is both possible that the mention of the number is not from the Prophet's wording, or that it is from him, in any case this does not necessitate a limit. These five were mentioned specifically either because of the listener's prior knowledge of the other names -- as if the Prophet were saying: "I have five particularly meritorious and glorious names" -- or because of the fame of these five names -- as if the Prophet were saying: "I have five particularly famous names" -- of for some other reason. (End of Ibn `Asakir's words.)

Here now are the hadiths which number his names. We have:

1- The hadith of Jubayr ibn Mut`im
2- The hadith of Jabir ibn `Abd Allah
3- The hadith of Abu Musa al-Ash`ari
4- The hadith of Hudhayfa
5- The hadith of Ibn Mas`ud
6- The hadith of Ibn `Abbas
7- The hadith of Abu al-Tufayl
8- The hadith of `Awf ibn Malik.

1- The hadith of Jubayr ibn Mut`im

His son Muhammad narrated it from him as well as Nafi`, and al- Zuhri took it from Muhammad, and thence a large number of narrators, among them: Sufyan al-Thawri, Shu`ayb, Mu`ammar, Malik, Muhammad ibn Maysara, and others. [It is found in Ahmad (4:80), Tirmidhi's Sunan (`Aridat al-ahwadhi 10:280), and Tirmidhi's Shama'il (p. 183). Also Muslim from Ishaq ibn Ibrahim al-Hanzali and others.]

al-Suyuti narrates with his isnad that the Prophet said:

I have (many) names. I am The Praised One (Muhammad). And I am the Most Deserving of Praise (Ahmad). And I am the Eraser (al-mahi) by whom disbelief is erased. And I am the Gatherer (al-hashir) at whose feet the people shall be gathered. And I am the Concluder (al-`aqib) after whom there is no Prophet.

Bukhari in his Sahih and Malik in his Muwatta' narrate it from Mu`ammar without the words "after whom there is no Prophet." This is the last hadith in the Muwatta'. al-Darimi in his Sunan cites it from al-Shu`ayb with the words "after whom there is no-one." Bukhari's version adds:

Mu`ammar said: I asked al-Zuhri: "What is al-`aqib?" He replied: "The one after whom there is no Prophet."

al-Bayhaqi in Dala'il al-nubuwwa (1:123) narrates it from Muhammad ibn Maysara with the final words:

And I am the Concluder (al-`aqib), that is: the Sealer.

Ahmad in his Musnad (4:80) and Bayhaqi in the Dala'il (1:124-125) also narrate it with the mere mention of the names without gloss, and with the addition of a sixth name:

I have (many) names. I am The Praised One (Muhammad). And I am the Most Deserving of Praise (Ahmad), and the Gatherer (al-hashir), and the Eraser (al-mahi), and the Sealer (al-khatim), and the Concluder (al-`aqib).

As can be seen the Prophet has listed his names above as six, and this indicates that the mention of "five" is not from the Prophet, who only said: "names." Jubayr subsequently remembered whatever he remembered, or he mentioned [some of them] and kept some of them to himself.

2- The hadith of Jabir ibn `Abd Allah

It is like the hadith of Jubayr but without the mention of al-`aqib and with an addition so that it reads:

I am the Most Deserving of Praise (Ahmad). I am The Praised One (Muhammad). And I am the Gatherer (al- hashir) at whose feet the people shall be gathered. And I am the Eraser (al-mahi) by whom Allah erases disbelief. On the Day of Resurrection the Flag of Glorification will be with me and I shall be the leader of all the Messengers and the custodian of their intercession.

al-Tabarani narrated it in al-Jami` al-kabir and al-Jami` al-awsat. [al-Haythami said in Majma` al-zawa'id (8:248): "Its chain contains `Urwa ibn Marwan who was said not to be strong (laysa bi al-qawi i.e. he is merely acceptable), while the remainder of its narrators have been declared trustworthy."]

Abu Nu`aym also narrated it in Dala'il al-nubuwwa from al-Tabarani with the wording:

And I am the Gatherer (al-hashir) and the people will not be gathered anywhere else than at my feet.

3- The hadith of Abu Musa al-Ash`ari

al-Suyuti narrates with his isnad through Abu Dawud al-Tayalisi that the Prophet said:

I am The Praised One (Muhammad), and the Most Deserving of Praise (Ahmad), and the Final Successor (al-muqfi), and the Gatherer (al-hashir), and the Prophet of Repentance (nabi al-tawba), and the Prophet of Mercy (nabi al-rahma).

Muslim in his Sahih (book of Fada'il Chapter 34 hadith #126) and Abu Nu`aym narrated it in Hilyat al-awliya' (5:99). Ahmad in his Musnad (4:395) narrated it through Waki` without "and the Prophet of Repentance," and through Yazid who retains it but replaces "the Prophet of Mercy" with: "and of the Fierce Battle" (nabi al-malhama).

4- The hadith of Hudhayfa

al-Suyuti narrates with his isnad that Hudhayfa said:

I met the Prophet in one of the streets of Madina and he said: I am The Praised One (muhammad). And I am the Most Deserving of Praise (ahmad). And I am the Prophet of Mercy (nabi al-rahma). And I am the Prophet of Repentance (nabi al-tawba). And I am the Final Successor (al-muqfi). And I am the Gatherer (al- hashir) and the Prophet of the Great Battle (nabi al- malhama).

Suyuti said: Ahmad narrates it (Musnad 5:405) and the sub-narrators are all the men of sound hadith except `Asim ibn Bahdala ("He is thiqa -- trustworthy": Haythami in Majma` al- zawa'id 8:284), and the hadith is sound.

5- The hadith of Ibn Mas`ud

al-Suyuti narrates with his isnad that Ibn Mas`ud said:

I heard the Prophet say in one of the streets of Madina: I am The Praised One (muhammad), and the Most Deserving of Praise (ahmad), and the Gatherer (al- hashir), and the Final Successor (al-muqfi), and the Prophet of Mercy (nabi al-rahma).

Ibn Hibban narrated it in his Sahih, and al-Haythami cited it in Mawarid al-zham'an (#2090).

6- The hadith of Ibn `Abbas

al-Suyuti narrates with his isnad through al-Tabarani that the Prophet said:

I am the Most Deserving of Praise (ahmad), and the Praised One (muhammad), and the Gatherer (al- hashir), and the Final Successor (al-muqfi), and the Sealer (al-khatim).

al-Tabarani said in his Saghir (1:58) that this hadith is not related from Ibn `Abbas through any other chain, and Suyuti adds that the chain is missing a link through al-Dahhak and Ibn `Abbas. [However, Ahmad Shakir, the late editor of Musnad Ahmad says in that book (4:67) that Abu Janab al-Kalbi narrates from al-Dahhak:: "I was Ibn `Abbas's neighbor for seven years." al-Haythami mentions the hadith in Majma` al-zawa'id but does not say anything about it.]

7- The hadith of Abu al-Tufayl

[This is the Companion `Amir ibn Wathila ibn `Abd Allah al-Bakri al-Laythi (d. 110). He related the hadith found in Muslim, Abu Dawud, and Ibn Majah in their books of Manasik whereby the Prophet would touch the Black Stone with his camel-prod (mihjan) -- while circumambulating on top of his mount -- and then kiss it.]

al-Suyuti narrates with his isnad, having heard this from Muhammad ibn Abu al-Hasan al-Shadhili and Abu Hurayra `Abd al-Rahman ibn Abu al-Hasan al-Shadhili and others:

... From Isma`il Abu Yahya al-Taymi, from Sayf ibn Wahb who said: I heard Abu al-Tufayl say: The Prophet said: "I have ten names in the presence of my Lord." Abu al- Tufayl said: I only remember eight, and have forgotten two: "I am The Praised One (muhammad), and the Most Deserving of Praise (ahmad), and the Opener (al-fatih), and the Sealer (al-khatim), and the Father of Qasim (abu al-qasim), and the Gatherer (al-hashir), and the Concluder (al-`aqib), and the Eraser (al-mahi).

Sayf ibn Wahb said: "I related this hadith to Abu Ja`far and he said: "O Sayf al-Mulla! Shall I tell you the two missing names?" I said yes, and he said:

Ya Sîn and Ta Ha.

Ibn Mardawayh in his Tafsir, Abu Nu`aym in his Dala'il, and al-Daylami in Musnad al-firdaws all cited it with their chains through Abu Yahya al-Taymi. Ibn Dihya said: "This is a worthless chain, as it revolves around a forger -- Yahya al-Taymi -- and a weak narrator -- Sayf ibn Wahb."

[al-Zabidi cited it in his Ithaf al-sadat al-muttaqin (7:163). He mentions that Ibn Dihya cited it also in his al-Mustawfa, and that Yahya (or Ibn Yahya or Abu Yahya) al-Taymi is a forger while Ahmad said that Sayf ibn Wahb is weak.]

8- The hadith of `Awf ibn Malik

Suyuti narrates with his isnad back to Abu Nu`aym that `Awf ibn Malik said:

One day the Prophet set forth and I was with him. He entered the synagogue of the Jews during their festival day and they disliked it intensely that we should visit them. The Prophet then said: "O nation of the Jews! By Allah, in truth I am the Gatherer (al-hashir), and I am the Concluder (al-`aqib), and I am the Final Successor (al- muqfi), whether you believe or give the lie." Then he left and I left with him.

[2]
THE NAMES OF THE PROPHET THAT HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED

Suyuti said in al-Riyad al-aniqa: al-Nawawi said in his Tahdhib al-asma' wa al-sifat (The emendation of the Names and Attributes):

Most of the Prophet's names mentioned are only attributes, such as the Concluder (al-`aqib), the Gatherer (al-hashir), and the Sealer (al-khatim). To call them "names" is a metaphorical appellation.

We have established a list of three hundred and forty-odd names divided among sections (commentary and referencing of each name follows the list):

I- Names of the Prophet explicitly mentioned in the Qur'an

1. Muhammad: Praised One.
2. Ahmad: Most Deserving of Praise.
3. al-Ahsan: The Most Beautiful. The Best.
4. Udhun khayr: Friendly Ear.
5. al-A`la: The Highest (in all creation).
6. al-Imam: The Leader.
7. al-Amin: The Dependable.
8. al-Nabi: The Prophet.
9. al-Ummi: The Unlettered.
10. Anfas al-`arab: The Most Precious of the Arabs.
11. Ayatullah: The Sign of Allah.
12. Alif lam mim ra: A-L-M-R.
13. Alif lam mim sad: A-L-M-S
14. al-Burhan: The Proof.
15. al-Bashir: The Bringer of Good Tidings.
16. al-Baligh: The Very Eloquent One.
17. al-Bayyina: The Exposition.
18. Thani ithnayn: The Second of Two.
19. al-Harîs: The Insistent One.
20. al-Haqq: The Truth Itself.
21. Ha Mim: H-M.
22. Ha Mim `Ayn Sîn Qaf: H-M- ` -S-Q.
23. al-Hanif: The One of Primordial Religion.
24. Khatim al-nabiyyin: The Seal of Prophets.
25. al-Khabir: The Knowledgeable One.
26. al-Da`i: The Summoner.
27. Dhu al-quwwa: The Strong One.
28. Rahmatun li al-`alamin: A Mercy for the Worlds.
29. al-Ra'uf: The Gentle One.
30. al-Rahim: The Compassionate One.
31. al-Rasul: The Messenger.
32. Sabil Allah: The Path to Allah.
33. al-Siraj al-munir: The Light-Giving Lamp.
34. al-Shâhid: The Eyewitness.
35. al-Shahîd: The Giver of Testimony.
36. al-Sâhib: The Companion.
37. al-Sidq: Truthfulness Itself.
38. al-Sirat al-mustaqim: The Straight Way.
39. Tah Sîn: T-S.
40. Tah Sîn Mim: T-S-M.
41. Tah Ha: T-H.
42. al-`Amil: The Worker.
43. al-`Abd: The Slave.
44. `Abd Allah: Allah's Slave.
45. al-`Urwat al-wuthqa: The Sure Rope.
46. al-`Aziz: The Mighty One. The Dearest One.
47. al-Fajr: The Dawn.
48. Fadl Allah: Allah's Grace.
49. Qadamu Sidq: Truthful Ground.
50. al-Karim: The Generous One.
51. Kaf Ha' Ya' `Ayn Sad: K-H-Y- ` - S
52. al-Lisan: Language Itself.
53. al-Mubashshir: The Harbinger of Goodness.
54. al-Mubîn: The Manifest.
55. al-Muddaththir: The Cloaked One.
56. al-Muzzammil: The Enshrouded One.
57. al-Mudhakkir: The Reminder.
58. al-Mursal: The Envoy.
59. al-Muslim: The One Who Submits.
60. al-Mashhud: The One Witnessed To.
61. al-Musaddiq: The Confirmer.
62. al-Muta`: The One Who Is Obeyed.
63. al-Makîn: The Staunch One.
64. al-Munadi: The Crier.
65. al-Mundhir: The Admonisher.
66. al-Mizan: The Balance.
67. al-Nas: Humanity.
68. al-Najm: The Star.
69. al-Thaqib: The Sharp-Witted One.
70. al-Nadhîr: The Warner.
71. Ni`mat Allah: Allah's Great Favor.
72. al-Nur: The Light.
73. Nun: N.
74. al-Hadi: Guidance Itself.
75. al-Wali: The Ally.
76. al-Yatim: The Orphan. The Unique One.
77. Ya Sîn: I-S.

II- Names of the Prophet mentioned in the Qur'an as verbs

[Note: The character <â> denotes a long A or alif.]

78. âkhidh al-sadaqat: The Collector of Alms.
79. al-âmir: The Commander.
80. al-Nâhi: The Forbidder.
81. al-Tâli: The Successor.
82. al-Hâkim: The Arbitrator.
83. al-Dhakir: The Rememberer.
84. al-Râdi: The Acquiescent.
85. al-Râghib: The Keen.
86. al-Wâdi`: The Deposer.
87. Rafî` al-dhikr: The One of Exalted Fame.
88. Rafî` al-darajât: The One of The Exalted Ranks.
89. al-Sâjid: The Prostrate.
90. al-Sâbir: The Long-Suffering.
91. al-Sâdi`: The Conqueror of Obstacles.
92. al-Safuh: The Oft-Forgiving.
93. al-`âbid: The Worshipful.
94. al-`âlim: The Knower.
95. al-`Alîm: The Deeply Aware.
96. al-`Afuw: The Grantor of Pardon.
97. al-Ghâlib: The Victor.
98. al-Ghani: The Free From Want.
99. al-Muballigh: The Bearer of News.
100. al-Muttaba`: He Who Is Followed.
101. al-Mutabattil: The Utter Devotee.
102. al-Mutarabbis: The Expectant One.
103. al-Muhallil: The Dispenser of Permissions.
104. al-Muharrim: The Mandator of Prohibitions.
105. al-Murattil: The Articulate.
106. al-Muzakki: The Purifier.
107. al-Musabbih: The Lauder.
108. al-Musta`îdh: The Seeker of Refuge.
109. al-Mustaghfir: The Seeker of Forgiveness.
110. al-Mu'min: The Believer. The Grantor of Safety.
111. al-Mushâwir: The Consultant.
112. al-Musalli: The Prayerful.
113. al-Mu`azzaz: The Strengthened One.
114. al-Muwaqqar: Held in Awe.
115. al-Ma`sum: Immune.
116. al-Mansur: The One With Divine Help.
117. al-Mawla: The Master of Favors and Help.
118. al-Mu'ayyad: The Recipient of Support.
119. al-Nâsib: The One Who Makes Great Effort.
120. al-Hâdi: The Guide.
121. al-Wâ`izh: The Exhorter.

[3]
Notes:

The character <î> denotes a long EE or Arabic YA'.
The characters <â> and <â> denote a long AA or Arabic ALIF.
The character <û> denotes a long OO or Arabic WAW.

III- Names of the Prophet in the Hadith and the Ancient Books

122. Ajîr: The Saved One.
123. Uhyad: The Dissuader.
124. Ahhad: The Peerless One.
125. Akhumakh: Of Sound Submission.
126. al-Atqa: The Most God-wary.
127. al-Abarr: The Most Righteous One. The Most Pious One.
128. al-Abyad: The Fairest One.
129. al-Agharr: The Most Radiant One.
130. al-Anfar: The One With the Largest Assembly.
131. al-Asdaq: The Most Truthful.
132. al-Ajwad: The Most Bounteous.
133. Ashja` al-Nas: The Most Courageous of Humanity.
134. al-âkhidh bi al-hujuzât: The Grasper of Waist-Knots.
135. Arjah al-nas `aqlan: The Foremost in Humankind in Intellect.
136. al-A`lamu billah: The Foremost in Knowledge of Allah.
137. al-Akhsha lillah: The Foremost in Fear of Allah.
138. Afsah al-`arab: The Most Articulate of the Arabs.
139. Aktharu al-anbiya'i tabi`an: The Prophet With The Largest Following.
140. al-Akram: The One Held in Highest Honor.
141. al-Iklil: The Diadem.
142. Imam al-nabiyyin: The Leader of Prophets.
143. Imam al-muttaqin: The Leader of the God-wary.
144. Imam al-nas: The Leader of Humankind.
145. Imam al-khayr: The Good Leader.
146. al-Amân: The Safeguard.
147. Amanatu as-habih: (The Keeper of) His Companion's Trust.
148. al-Awwal: The First.
149. al-âkhir: The Last.
140: Ukhrâya: The Last (of the Prophets). His name in the Torah.
141: al-Awwâh: The One Who Cries Ah.
142: al-Abtahi: The One from Bitah between Mecca and Mina.
143. al-Bâriqlît, al-Barqalîtos: The Paraclete. The Spirit of Holiness. The Innocent One.
144. al-Bâtin: The Hidden One (in his station).
145. Bim'udhma'udh: One of his names in the Torah.
146. al-Bayan: The Exposition.
147. al-Taqi: The One Who Guards Himself.
148. al-Tihami: The One from Tihama (the lowland of the Hijaz).
149. al-Thimal: The Protector.
150. al-Jabbar: The Fierce One.
151. al-Khatim: The Sealer.
152. al-Hâshir: The Gatherer.
153. Hât Hât: His name in the Psalms.
154. al-Hâfizh: The Preserver.
155. Hâmid: Praiseful.
156. Hâmil liwa' al-hamd: Bearer of the Flag of Praise.
157: Habib Allah: Allah's Beloved.
158. Habib al-Rahman: The Beloved of the Merciful.
159. Habîtan: His name in the Injil.
160. al-Hujja: The Proof.
162. Hirzan li al-`ayn: A Barrier Against The Evil Eye.
163. al-Hasîb: The Sufficient One. The Highborn One.
164. al-Hafîzh: The Keeper and Guardian.
165. al-Hakîm: The Wise One.
166. al-Halîm: The Meek One.
167. Hammitâya: Guardian of Sanctity.
168. al-Humayd: The Praised One.
169. al-Hamîd: The Praised One.
170. al-Hayy: The Living One.
171. Khâzin mal Allah: Allah's Treasurer.
172. al-Khâshi`: The Fearful One.
173. al-Khâdi`: The Submissive One.
174. Khatîb al-nabiyyin: The Orator Among the Prophets.
175. Khalil Allah: Allah's Close Friend.
176. Khalifat Allah: Allah's Deputy.
177. Khayr al-`alamin: The Greatest Goodness in the Worlds.
178. Khayru khalq Allah: The Greatest Good in Allah's Creation.
179. Khayru hadhihi al-umma: The Best of This Community.
180. Dar al-hikma: The House of Wisdom.
181. al-Dâmigh: The Refuter (of Falsehoods).
182. al-Dhikr: The Remembrance.
183. al-Dhakkar: The One Who Remembers Much.
184. al-Râfi`: The Exalter.
185. Râkib al-buraq: The Rider of the Buraq.
186. Râkib al-jamal: The Rider of the Camel.
187. Rahmatun muhdat: Mercy Bestowed.
188. Rasul al-rahma: The Emissary of Mercy.
189. Rasul al-raha: The Emissary of Relief.
190. Rasul / Nabi al-malahim: The Emissary / Prophet of Battles.
191. Rukn al-mutawadi`in: The Pillar of the Humble Ones.
192. al-Rahhab: The Most Fearful.
193. Ruh al-haqq: The Spirit of Truth.
194. Ruh al-qudus: The Spirit of Holiness.
195. al-Zahid: The One Who Does-Without.
196. al-Zaki: The Pure One.
197. al-Zamzami: The Heir of Zamzam.
198. Zaynu man wâfa al-qiyama: The Ornament of All Present on the Day of Judgment.
199. Sabiq: Foremost.
200. Sarkhatilos: Paraclete (in Syriac).
201. Sa`id: Felicitous.
202. al-Salam: Peace.
203. Sayyid al-nas: The Master of Humanity.
204. Sayyid walad Adam: The Master of the Children of Adam.
205. Sayf Allah: Allah's Sword.
206. al-Shâri`: The Law-Giver.
207. al-Shâfi`: The Intercessor.
208. al-Shafî`: The Constant Intercessor.
209. al-Mushaffa`: The One Granted Intercession.
210. al-Shâkir: The Thankful One.
211. al-Shakkâr: The One Who Thanks Much.
212. al-Shakur: The Ever-Thankful.
213. Sâhib al-taj: The Wearer of the Crown.
214. Sâhib al-hujja: The Bringer of The Proof.
215. Sâhib al-hawd: The Owner of the Pond.
216. Sâhib al-kawthar: The Owner of the River of Kawthar.
217. Sâhib al-hatîm: The Lord of the Court Before the Ka`ba.
218. Sâhib al-khâtim: The Owner of the Seal.
219. Sâhibu Zamzam: The Owner of Zamzam.
220. Sâhib al-sultan: The Possessor of Authority.
221: Sâhib al-sayf: The Bearer of the Sword.
222. Sâhib al-shafa`at al-kubra: The Great Intercessor.
223. Sâhib al-qadib: The Bearer of the Rod.
224. Sâhib al-liwa': The Carrier of the Flag.
225. Sâhib al-mahshar: The Lord of the Gathering.
226. Sâhib al-mudarra`a: The Wearer of Armor.
227. Sâhib al-mash`ar: The Owner of the Landmark.
228. Sâhib al-mi`raj: The One Who Ascended.
229. Sâhib al-maqam al-mahmud: The One of Glorified Station.
230. Sâhib al-minbar: The Owner of the Pulpit.
231. Sâhib al-na`layn: The Wearer of Sandals.
232. Sâhib al-hirâwa: The Bearer of the Cane.
233. Sâhib al-wasila: The Possessor of the Means.
234. Sâhib la ilaha illallah: The Teacher of "There is no god but Allah."
235. al-Sadiq: The Truthful.
236. al-Masduq: The Confirmed.
237. al-Sâlih: The righteous one.
238. al-Dâbit: The One Given Mastery.
239. al-Dahuk: The Cheerful One.
240. al-Tahir: The (Ritually) Pure One.
241. Tâb Tâb: Of Blessed Memory. His Name in the Torah.
242. al-Tayyib: The Salutary One. The Fragrant One.
243. al-Zhahir: The Prevailer.
244. al-`âqib: The Last in Succession.
245. al-`Adl: The Just.
246. al-`Arabi: The Arabian. The Speaker of Arabic.
247. `Ismatullah: Allah's Protection.
248. al-`Azhim: The Tremendous One.
249. al-`Afif: The Chaste One.
250. al-`Ali: The High One.
251. al-Ghafur: The Frequent and Abundant Forgiver.
252. al-Ghayth: Rain. Help (esp. in the elements).
253. al-Fâtih: The Conqueror.
254. al-Fâriq: The Separator Between Good and Bad.
255. Fârqilîta: The Paraclete.
256. Fartt: The Scout.
257. al-Fasîh: The Highly Articulate One.
258. Falâh: Felicity.
259. Fi'at al-muslimin: The Main Body of the Muslims.
260. al-Qa'im: The One Who Stands and Warns. The Establisher.
261. Qâsim: The Distributer.
262. Qa'id al-khayr: The Leader Who Guides to Goodness.
263. Qa'id al-ghurr al-muhajjalîn: Leader of the Bright-Limbed Ones.
264. al-Qattal: The Dauntless Fighter.
265. Qutham: Of Perfect Character. Gifted With Every Merit.
266. Qudmâya: The First (of the Prophets). His name in the Torah.
267. al-Qurashi: The One From Quraysh.
268. al-Qarîb: The Near One.
269. al-Qayyim: The Righteous Straightener (of the Community).
270. al-Kâff: The One Who Puts a Stop (to Disobedience).
271. al-Mâjid: The Glorifier.
272. al-Mâhi: The Eraser (of Disbelief).
273. al-Ma'mun: The One Devoid of Harm.
274. al-Mubarak: The Blessed One.
275. al-Muttaqi: The God-wary One.
276. al-Mutamakkin: Made Firm and Established.
277. al-Mutawakkil: Completely Dependent Upon Allah.
278. al-Mujtaba: The Elect One.
279. al-Mukhbit: The Humble Before Allah.
280. al-Mukhbir: The Bringer of News.
281. al-Mukhtar: The Chosen One.
282. al-Mukhlis: The Perfectly Sincere One.
283. al-Murtaja: The Much Anticipated One.
284. al-Murshid: The Guide.
285. Marhama: General Amnesty.
286. Malhama: Great Battle.
287. Marghama: Greater Force.
288. al-Musaddad: Made Righteous.
289. al-Mas`ud: The Fortunate.
290. al-Masîh: The Anointed.
291. al-Mashfu`: Granted Intercession.
292. Mushaqqah / Mushaffah: Praised One.
293. al-Mustafa: The One Chosen and Purified.
294. al-Muslih: The Reformer.
295. al-Mutahhir / al-Mutahhar: The Purifier / The Purified One.
296. al-Muti`: The Obedient One.
297. al-Mu`ti: The Giver.
298. al-Mu`aqqib: The One Who Comes Last in Succession.
299. al-Mu`allim: The Teacher.
300. al-Mifdal: The Most Generous.
301. al-Mufaddal: Favored Above All Others.
302. al-Muqaddas: The One Held Sacred.
303. Muqim al-Sunna: The Founder of The Way.
304. al-Mukrim: The One Who Honored Others.
305. al-Makki: The Meccan One.
306. al-Madani: The Madinan One.
307. al-Muntakhab: The Chosen One.
308. al-Munhaminna: The Praised One (in Syriac).
309. al-Munsif: The Equitable One.
310. al-Munib: The Oft-Repentant One.
311. al-Muhajir: The Emigrant.
312. al-Mahdi: The Well-Guided One.
313. al-Muhaymin: The Watcher.
314. al-Mu'tamin: The One Given the Trust.
315. Mûsal: Mercied. (In the Torah.)
316. Mâdh Mâdh / Mûdh Mûdh / Mîdh Mîdh: Of Blessed Memory.
317. al-Nâsikh: The Abrogator.
318. al-Nâshir: The Proclaimer.
319. al-Nâsih: The Most Sincere Adviser.
320. al-Nâsir: The Helper.
321. Nabi al-marhama: The Prophet of General Amnesty.
322. al-Nasîb: The One of High Lineage.
323. al-Naqiy: The Limpid One.
324. al-Naqîb: Trustee. Guarantor.
325. al-Hâshimi: The One of Hâshim's Line.
326. al-Wâsit: Central in Relation To All The Noble Families.
327. al-Wâ`id: The Harbinger of Terrible News.
328. al-Wasîla: The Means.
329. al-Wafi: Holder of His Promise.
330. Abu al-Qasim: Father of Qasim.
331. Abu Ibrahim: Father of Ibrahim.
332. Abu al-Mu'minin: Father of the Believers.
333. Abu al-Arâmil: Father of Widows.

[4]
Notes:

The character <î> denotes a long EE or Arabic YA'.
The characters <â> and <â> denote a long AA or Arabic ALIF.
The character <û> denotes a long OO or Arabic WAW.

IV- ADDITIONAL NAMES
FROM al-JAZULI'S (d. 870) DALA'IL AL-KHAYRAT

334. Wahîd: Unique One.
335. Sayyid: Master.
336. Jâmi`: Unifier.
337. Muqtafi: Imitated One.
338. Kâmil: Perfect One.
339. Safi Allah: Allah's Chosen and Purified One.
340. Naji Allah: Allah's Intimate Friend.
341. Kalîm Allah: Conversant With Allah.
342. Muhyin: Giver of Life.
343. Munajji: Savior.
344. Ma`lum: Of Known Position.
345. Shahîr: Famous.
346. Mashhud: Visible.
347. Misbâh: Lamp.
348. Mad`uw: Called upon.
349. Mujib: Responsive to Requests.
350. Mujab: Whose Request is Granted.
351. Hafiy: Affectionate and Kind.
352. Mukarram: Highly Honored.
353. Matîn: Steadfast.
354. Mu'ammil: Rouser of Hope.
355. Wasûl: Conveyer?
356. Dhu hurma: Sacrosanct.
357. Dhu makâna: Of Eminent Station.
358. Dhu `izz: Endowed With Might.
359. Dhu Fadl: Pre-Eminent.
360. Ghawth: Helper.
361. Ghayyath: Prompt and Frequent Helper.
362. Hadiyyatullah: Allah's Gift.
363. Sirât Allah: The Way to Allah.
364. Dhikrullah: The Remembrance of Allah.
365. Hizbullah: The Party of Allah.
366. Muntaqa: Carefully Selected.
367. Abu al-Tahir: Father of Tahir.
368. Barr: Pious. Dutiful.
369. Mubirr: Who Overcomes.
370. Wajîh: Distinguished In Allah's Sight.
371. Nasîh: One Who Excels At Sincere Advice.
372. Wakîl: Trustee. Dependable.
373. Kafîl: Guarantor. Guardian.
374. Shafîq: Solicitous. Tender.
375. Ruh al-qist: The Spirit of Justice.
376. Muktafi: Does With Little.
377. Bâligh: One Who Has Reached His Goal.
378. Shâfi: Healer.
379. Wâsil: One Who has Reached His Goal.
380. Mawsûl: Connected.
381. Sâ'iq: (Mindful) Conductor.
382. Muhdi: Guide.
383. Muqaddam: Pre-eminent One.
384. Fâdil: Most Excellent One.
385. Miftâh: Key.
386. Miftâh al-rahma: The Key to Mercy.
387. Miftâh al-janna: The Key to Paradise.
388. `Alam al-iman: The Standard of Belief.
389. `Alam al-yaqîn: The Standard of Certainty.
390. Dalîl al-khayrât: The Guide to Good Things.
391. Musahhih al-hasanât: The Ratifier of Good Deeds.
392. Muqîl al-`atharât: The Dismisser of Private Faults.
393. Safûh `an al-zallât: The One Who Disregards Lapses.
394. Sâhib al-qadam: Possessor of The Foothold.
395. Makhsûs bi al-`izz: Alone to Be Granted Might.
396. Makhsûs bi al-majd: Alone to Be Granted Glory.
397. Makhsûs bi al-sharaf: Alone to Be Granted Honor.
398. Sâhib al-fadîla: Possessor of Greatest Pre-Eminence.
399. Sâhib al-izâr: The Wearer of the Loin-wrap.
400. Sâhib al-rida': The Wearer of the Cloak.
401. Sâhib al-daraja al-rafî`a: Possessor of the Highest Degree.
402. Sâhib al-mighfar: Possessor of the Helmet.
403. Sâhib al-bayân: The Spokesman.
404. Mutahhar al-janân: Purified of Heart.
405. Sahîh al-islam: Completer of Islam.
406. Sayyid al-kawnayn: Master of Humanity and Jinn.
407. `Ayn al-na`îm: Spring of Bliss. Bliss Itself.
408. `Ayn al-ghurr: Spring of the Radiant Ones. Radiance Itself.
409. Sa`dullah: Felicity Bestowed by Allah.
410. Sa`d al-khalq: Felicited Bestowed Upon Creation.
411. Khatîb al-umam: The Orator to the Nations.
412. `Alam al-huda: Flag of Guidance.
413. Kâshif al-kurab: Remover of Adversities.
414. Râfi` al-rutab: The Raiser of Ranks.
415. `Izz al-`arab: Might and Glory of the Arabs.
416. Sâhib al-faraj: Bringer of Deliverance.

AL-JAZULI'S INVOCATION AT THE END OF HIS LIST OF THE PROPHET'S NAMES

O Allah, O our Lord! for the honor of Your elect Prophet and Pleasing Messenger before You, purify our hearts from all the traits that keep us away from Your presence and Your love, and have us pass away following his Way and adhering to his Congregation, longing to meet You, O Possessor of Majesty and Generosity! And the blessings and abundant greetings and peace of Allah be upon our master and liege-lord Muhammad, and upon his Family and Companions.

Amin. [5]

The following are found mostly in the Book of Merits (manaqib) in Tirmidhi's Sunan:

1- Sayyidina `Ali said: "The Prophet was neither tall nor short. He has thick-set fingers and toes. He had a large head and joints. He had a long line of thin chest-to-lower-navel hair. When he walked he would literally lean forward, as if descending from a higher place to a lower one. I never saw anyone like him before of after him." Tirmidhi said: This hadith is hasan sahih. Imam Ahmad in his narration states: "He was large of head and beard."

2- Ibrahim ibn Muhammad, one of Sayyidina `Ali's grandchildren, said: `Ali would say upon describing the Prophet: "He was neither immoderately tall nor particularly short. He was well-proportioned among people. His hair was neither extremely curly nor straight, but slightly waved. He was neither stocky nor plump. There was roundness in his face. He was fair with redness in his complexion.
His eyes were very black and his eyelashes very long. He had a large back and shoulder-joints. His body was not hairy but he had a line of hair extending from the chest to below the navel. He had thick-set fingers and toes. When he walked he would lift his feet with vigor, as if walking down a slope.
When he turned towards a person he would turn with his entire body. Between his shoulder- blades was the seal of prophethood, and he himself is the Seal of Prophets. He was the most generous of people without exception, the most accepting and gracious of manners, the most truthful in speech, the softest of voice, and the noblest of company. Whoever saw him from a distance stood awed by him, and whoever shared familiarity with him loved him. Whoever described him said: I never saw anyone like him before or after him." Tirmidhi said: This hadith is hasan gharib and its chain is not linked back (to `Ali).

3- Hasan ibn `Ali said: I queried my maternal uncle Hind ibn Abi Hala, who was skilled at describing the Prophet's appearance, and told him that I longed to hear him describe me something of it to which I could hold on. He said: "The Prophet was magnificent and he was considered magnificent. His face shone pearl-like, similar to the full moon. He was taller than average, but smaller than a tall man. He had a large head. His hair was wavy. If it parted naturally he parted it, otherwise not. It reached past his ear- lobes when he wore it long.
He had a rosy complexion, a wide forehead, beautifully arched, dense eyebrows that did not meet in the middle. Between them there was a vein which thickened when he was angry. He had an aquiline nose touched with a light that raised it so that at first sight it seemed higher than it was. He had a thick, dense beard, expanded, not elevated cheeks, a strong mouth with a gap between his front teeth. There was sparse hair on his chest. His neck seemed (smooth and shiny) like that of a statue moulded in silver. His body was well-proportioned, stout and muscular, of equal belly and chest. He was wide-shouldered, big- jointed. When he disrobed his limbs emanated light.
There was a thread-like line of hair between his chest and his navel, but none on his breasts and belly other than that. There was hair on his arms, shoulders, and upper torso. His forearms were long, his palms wide, his fingers and toes thick-set and extended. The middle of his soles rose moderately from the ground. His feet were so smooth that water rolled off them.
When he walked he lifted his feet with vigor, leaned slightly forward, and tread gently on the ground. When he turned (to look), he turned his whole body. His gaze was lowered and he looked at the ground more often than he looked at the sky. He glanced at things rather than stared. He would ask his Companions to walk in front of him. He would always be the first to greet those he met with salam." Tirmidhi narrated it in his Shama'il but not in the Sunan.

4- Sammak ibn Harb narrated to Shu`ba a hadith he had heard from Jabir ibn Samura and he explained that the Prophet had a wide mouth and wide eyes, and that he had not fleshy heels. Tirmidhi said it is hasan sahih.

5- Jabir ibn Samura also narrated that he once saw the Prophet on a night of full moon wearing a red mantle. He said: "I began to look at him then at the moon. Verily he seemed to me more beautiful than the moon itself." Tirmidhi said: This hadith is hasan gharib. Its chain contains al-Ash`ath, whom some declared weak, however, al- Dhahabi declared him "fair and truthful in his hadith" (hasan sadiq al-hadith).

6- al-Bara' ibn `Azib confirmed the above by relating: "I have never seen someone whose hair reached to his ear-lobes and wearing red clothing, more handsome than Allah's Messenger. His hair reached his shoulders. He was very broad-shouldered, neither short nor tall." Tirmidhi said: hasan sahih.

7- al-Bara' ibn `Azib was once asked: "Was the Prophet's face like a sword (i.e. glistening like steel, or elongated)?" He replied: "No; it was like the moon (i.e. shining with light, and round)." Tirmidhi said: hasan sahih.

8- `Abd Allah ibn al-Harith ibn Hazm said: "I never saw anyone that smiled more than Allah's Messenger." Tirmidhi said: This hadith is hasan gharib. The same narrator also related: "The Prophet's laughter consisted entirely in smiling." Tirmidhi said: sahih gharib.

9- Ibn `Abbas said: "The Prophet's two front teeth were slighly spaced in between. Whenever he spoke, something like light would be seen issuing from between them." Tirmidhi narrated it in his Shama'il but not in the Sunan.

10- Anas ibn Malik said: "Allah's Messenger was well-proportioned, neither tall nor short, handsome of body, and his hair was neither curly nor straight. He was of tawny complexion. When he walked, he leaned forward slightly." Tirmidhi related it in the Book of Clothing (al-libas) and said it is hasan sahih.

11- Abu Hurayra said: "The Prophet was fair-skinned, as if he had been moulded in silver (i.e. completely unblemished, shining), and he had wavy hair." Tirmidhi narrated it in al-Shama'il but not in the Sunan.

12- Abu al-Tufayl, the last of the Companions to die, said: "I saw the Prophet and there is no one left on earth who saw him other than myself." Sa`id al-Jurayri said: "Describe him." He replied: "He was fair-skinned, handsome and engaging, and neither corpulent nor thin." Tirmidhi narrates it in his Shama'il but not in the Sunan.

[6] AL-QADI YUSUF AL-NABANAHI'S POEM OF PRAISE OF THE PROPHET, BLESSINGS AND PEACE UPON HIM

1. ana `abdun li sayyid al-anbiya'i
wa wala'i lahu al-qadimi wala'i

I am the slave of the Master of Prophets
And my fealty to him has no beginning.

2. ana `abdun li `abdihi wa li `abd al-`abdi
`abdun kadha bi ghayr intiha'i

I am slave to his slave, and to his slave's slave,
And so forth endlessly,

3. ana la antahi `an al-qurbi min
babi ridahu fi jumlat al-dukhala'i

For I do not cease to approach the door
Of his good pleasure among the novices.

4. anshuru al-`ilma fi ma`alihi li al-nas
wa ashdu bihi ma`a al-shu`ara'i

I proclaim among people the teaching of his high attributes,
And sing his praises among the poets.

5. fa `asahu yaqulu li anta salmanu
wala'i hassanu husna thana'i

Perhaps he shall tell me: "You are a noted friend
Of mine, an excellent beautifier of my greatness."

6. wa bi ruhi afdi turaba himahu
wa lahu al-fadlu fi qabuli fida'i

Yea, I would sacrifice my soul for the dust of his sanctuary.
His favor should be that he accept my sacrifice.

7. faza man yantami ilayhi wa la
hajata fihi bi dhalika al-intima'i

He has triumphed who ascribes himself to him
LNot that he needs such following,

8. huwa fi ghunyatin `an al-khalqi turran
wa hum al-kullu `anhu duna ghina'i

For he is not in need of creation at all,
While they all need him without exception.

9. wa huwa lillahi wahdihi `abduhu
al-khalisu mujalla al-sifati wa al-asma'i

He belongs to Allah alone, Whose purified servant he is,
As his attributes and names have made manifest;

10. kullu fadlin fi al-khalqi fa huwa
min allahi ilayhi wa minhu li al-ashya'i

And every single favor in creation comes from Allah
To him, and from him to everything else.

Return to “Profeten Muhammad (sall Allah 'aleihi a sallam)”