en: Hadith on Istighatha

nur.nu

en: Hadith on Istighatha

Post by nur.nu »

1. The hadith of the blind man
Instruction of the Prophet (s) to do tawassul and istiby him

حدثنا ‏ ‏أحمد بن منصور بن سيار ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏عثمان بن عمر ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏شعبة ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏أبي جعفر المدني ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏عمارة بن خزيمة بن ثابت ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏عثمان بن حنيف
أن رجلا ضرير البصر أتى النبي ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏فقال ادع الله لي أن يعافيني فقال إن شئت أخرت لك وهو خير وإن شئت دعوت فقال ‏ ‏ادعه ‏ ‏فأمره أن يتوضأ فيحسن وضوءه ويصلي ركعتين ويدعو بهذا الدعاء اللهم إني أسألك وأتوجه إليك ‏ ‏بمحمد ‏ ‏نبي الرحمة يا ‏ ‏محمد ‏ ‏إني قد توجهت بك إلى ربي في حاجتي هذه ‏ ‏لتقضى اللهم شفعه في

Sayyiduna Uthmaan ibn Hunayf [radhiallaahu anhu] narrates that once a blind person came to Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] and said: 'O Rasulullah! Ask Allah to cure me.'

Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] replied,
'If you wish I will make Du'aa or else you may be patient and this is better for you.'
The man said, 'Make Du'aa instead'
Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] then commanded him to make Wudhu properly and that he recites the following Du'aa,

'Oh Allah, verily, I ask of you and I turn to you through your prophet, the prophet of mercy, O Muhammad, verily, I have turned to my Lord through you so that my need be fulfilled. Oh Allah, accept his intercession on my behalf.'

References
►- Musnad Ahmad vol.4 pg.138; (4:138 #17246-17247)
►- Sunan Tirmidhi: al-Jami-us-sahīh, book of da‘awat (supplications) ch.119 (5:569#3578)
►- Sunan ibn Majah, book of Iqamat al-salat wa al-sunnat (establishing prayer and its sunnahs) Hadith No#1385
►- Nasa'i: ‘Amal-ul-yawm wal-laylah (#658-659)
►- Haakim, Mustadrak (1:313,519)
►- Hakim, Mustadrak Sahiyan, Book : Salat At Tatawa' Volume : 1 Page : 449 Hadith number : 1181
►- Imam Bayhaqi, Book : Dalail An Nubuwwah Volume : 6
►- Bukhari in Tareekh Ul Kabeer Volume : 6 page : 209 Biography number : 2192
►- Abd Bin Humaid in Al Musnad Volume : 1 Page : 308 Hadith number : 379
►- Ibn e Khuzimah in Sahih Ibn e Khuzimah Chapter : Salat At Targheeb Wat Tarheeb (527) Volume : 2 Page : 225 Hadith number : 1219
►- Qadi Ayyad in As Shifa Chapter: Ibra Al Marda Wa Zil 'Ahaat (Volume : 1)
►- Nawawī in al-Adhkār (p.83)
►- Imam Mundhiri Book : Targheeb Wat Tarheeb Chapter : Salat Al Hajah Volume : 1 Page : 241
►- Ibn Kathīr, al-Bidāyah wan-nihāyah (4:558)
►- Ibn Hajar Haythamī, al-Jawhar-ul-munazzam (p.61)

Authentification
Ibn Majah in Sunnan :
قال ‏ ‏أبو إسحق ‏ ‏هذا ‏ ‏حديث صحيح
Imam Abu Ishaaq (rah) said: This hadith is sahih.
Tirmidhī declared it hasan sahih gharib
Ibn Khuzaymah and Dhahabī have declared it a sound (sahīh)

Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] also told him that he should make the same supplication whenever he needed to. (al-Raddul Muhkamul Mateen pg.145)

ANOTHER VERSION of the hadith of the blind man:
In another version narrated by Imam Hākim, ‘Uthmān bin Hunayf says that he was present in the Prophet’s company. A blind person called on the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and complained about the loss of his eyesight. He added: ‘O Messenger of Allah, there is no one to guide me and I am in great trouble.’ On hearing his complaint, the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said:

Bring an earthen pot for ablution, then perform the ablution and offer two cycles of optional prayer. Then say:

“O Allah, I appeal to You, and submit to You through the mediation of Your merciful Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). O Muhammad, through your mediation I submit myself to your Lord that He should give light to my eyes. O Allah, acknowledge his intercession in my favour and accept my supplication also in my favour.”

‘Uthmān bin Hunayf says: I swear by Allah that we had neither left the company nor had we carried on a long conversation that the man entered (with his sight fully restored) and it seemed as if he had never been blind.

References
►Nasā’ī, ‘Amal-ul-yawm wal-laylah (p.418#660)
►Ahmad bin Hambal, Musnad (4:138)
►Ibn Kathīr, al-Bidāyah wan-nihāyah (4:559)
►Suyūtī, al-Khasā’is-ul-kubrā (2:201)
►Qastallānī, al-Mawāhib-ul-laduniyyah (4:594)
►Bayhaqī, Dalā’il-un-nubuwwah (6:166-7)

Using the above formula
AFTER THE DEMISE OF THE PROPHET (s)
Sayyiduna Uthmaan ibn Hunayf [radhiallaahu anhu] taught this du'aa to someone after the demise of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam]. That person's need was also fulfilled.

وَهُوَ أَنَّ رَجُلاً كَانَ يَخْتَلِفُ إلَى عُثْمَانَ بْنِ عَفَّانَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ فِي حَاجَةٍ لَهُ، وَكَانَ عُثْمَانُ لاَ يَلْتَفِتُ إلَيْهِ، وَلاَ يَنْظُرُ فِي حَاجَتِهِ، فَلَقِيَ عُثْمَانَ بْنَ حُنَيْفٍ فَشَكَا ذلِكَ إلَيْهِ، فَقَالَ لَهُ عُثْمَانُ بْنُ حُنَيْفٍ: ائْتِ الْمِيضَأَةَ فَتَوَضَّأْ، ثُمَّ ائْتِ الْمَسْجِدَ فَصَلِّ فِيهِ رَكْعَتَيْنِ، ثُمَّ قُلِ: اللَّهُمَّ إنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ، وَأَتَوَجَّهُ إلَيْكَ بِنَبِيِّنَا مُحَمَّدٍ نَبِيِّ الرَّحْمَةِ، يَا مُحَمَّدُ! إنِّي أَتَوَجَّهُ بِكَ إلَى رَبِّي فَيَقْضِي حَاجَتِي، وَتَذْكُرُ حَاجَتَكَ وَرُحْ إلَيَّ حَتَّى أَرُوحَ مَعَكَ، فَانْطَلَقَ الرَّجُلُ فَصَنَعَ مَا قَالَ لَهُ، ثُمَّ أَتَى بَابَ عُثْمَانَ فَجَاءَ الْبَوَّابُ حَتَّى أَخَذَ بِيَدِهِ، فَأَدْخَلَهُ عَلَى عُثْمَانَ بْنِ عَفَّانَ فَأَجْلَسَهُ مَعَهُ عَلَى الطُّنْفَسَةِ، وَقَالَ: مَا حَاجَتُكَ؟ فَذَكَرَ حَاجَتُهُ فَقَضَاهَا لَهُ، ثُمَّ قَالَ: مَا ذَكَرْتُ حَاجَتَكَ حَتَّى كَانَتْ هذِهِ السَّاعَةُ، وَقَالَ: مَا كَانَتْ لَكَ مِنْ حَاجَةٍ فَائْتِنَا، ثُمَّ إنَّ الرَّجُلَ خَرَجَ مِنْ عِنْدِهِ فَلَقِيَ عُثْمَانَ بْنَ حُنَيْفٍ فَقَالَ لَهُ: جَزَاكَ اللَّهُ خَيْراً، مَا كَانَ يَنْظُرُ فِي حَاجَتِي، وَلاَ يَلْتَفِتُ إلَيَّ حَتَّى كَلَّمْتَهُ فِيَّ، فَقَالَ عُثْمَانُ بْنُ حُنَيْفٍ: وَاللَّهِ مَا كَلَّمْتُهُ، وَلَكِنْ شَهِدْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ، وَأَتَاهُ رَجُلٌ ضَرِيرٌ فَشَكَا إلَيْهِ ذَهَابَ بَصَرِهِ، فَقَالَ لَهُ النَّبِيُّ: «أَوْ تَصْبِرُ»، فَقَالَ: يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ إنَّهُ لَيْسَ لِي قَائِدٌ، وَقَدْ شَقَّ عَلَيَّ؟ فَقَالَ لَهُ النَّبِيُّ: «ائْتِ الْمِيضَأَةَ فَتَوَضَّ

Imam Tabrani has narrated an incident that a person repeatedly visited Uthman bin Affan (ra) concerning something he needed but Uthman paid no attend to him. The man went to Uthman bin Hunaif (ra) and complained to him about the matter

Sayyiduna Uthmaan ibn Hunayf (Abu Umaamah ibn Sahl ibn Hunayf) [radhiallaahu anhu] told him to make Wudhu, go to the Musjid, offer 2 Rakaats of Salaat and recite the following Du'aa:

'O Allah, verily I ask you and I turn to you through our prophet, the prophet of mercy (Rasulullah - sallallaahu alayhi wasallam). O Muhammad! Verily, I have turned to our Lord through you so that He may fulfil my need.'

Then come so that I can go with you [to the caliph Uthman] So the man left and did as he had been told, then went to the door of Uthman ibn Affan (Allah be pleased with him), and the doorman came, took him by the hand, brought him to Uthman ibn Affan, and seated him next to him on a cushion. 'Uthman asked, "What do you need?" and the man mentioned what he wanted, and Uthman accomplished it for him ...(till the end of hadith)

References:
► Imam Tabrani in Al Ma'jam As Sagheer Volume : 1 Hadith number : 508; al-Mu'jamul Kabeer vol.9 Hadith number : 8311; Note: Imam Tabrani, after narrating the hadith usually doesn't say anything but in this case he specifically says it is "Sahih"
► Imam Tabrani in Al Mu'jamul Kabeer vol.9 Hadith number : 8311;
► Imam al-Mundhiri (rah) brought this under "Salah al-Hajah" and said: Imam Tabarani after narrating it said "this hadhith is sahih" [At-Targheeb wa Tarheeb, Page No. 129 in the chapter of Salaat al Hajah]
► Imam al-Haythami (rah) in Majma az Zawaid Volume No. 2, Hadith # 3668 under "Salat al-Hajah" also accepted the authentication of Imam Tabrani
► Imaam Bayhaqi in Dalaailun-nubuwwah vol.6
► Imam Taqi ud Din Subki in Shia As Siqam Volume : 1 under the chapter: "After the passing away of the Prophet (s)", and also quotes Imam Bayhaqi in the end
► Ibn Taymiyyah declared it sahih in his Qa'ida al Jaleela fit Tawassul wal Waseela (Page No. 156)
► Imam Muhammad bin Yusuf al-Salihi (rah) in Sabl al Hadi, Volume No.12, Page No. 407

Authentification:
► Imaam Tabrani has mentioned that this Hadith is authentic. (al-Mu'jamus sagheer vol.1 pg.184). Allamah ► ► ► Mahmood Zaahid Al- Kawthari has also classified the chains of Baihaqi to be Saheeh (authentic). (Maqaalatul-Kawthari pg.391).
► For a detailed analysis refer to al-Raddul Muhkamul Mateen of Shaykh Abdullah Siddique al-Ghumarie pgs.141-157; Raf'ul Manaarah of Shaykh Mahmood Sa'eed Mamdooh pgs.125-131
nur.nu

Re: en: Hadith on Istighatha

Post by nur.nu »

2. Istighatha in connection with asking for rain

أخبرنا أبو نصر بن قتادة، وأبو بكر الفارسي قالا: حدثنا أبو عمر بن مطر، حدثنا إبراهيم بن علي الذهلي، حدثنا يحيى بن يحيى، حدثنا أبو معاوية، عن الأعمش، عن أبي صالح، عن مالك قال: أصاب الناس قحط في زمن عمر بن الخطاب، فجاء رجل إلى قبر النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم. فقال: يا رسول الله استسق الله لأمتك فإنهم قد هلكوا. فأتاه رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم في المنام فقال: إيت عمر، فأقرئه مني السلام، وأخبرهم أنه مسقون، وقل له عليك بالكيس الكيس. فأتى الرجل فأخبر عمر، فقال: يا رب ما آلوا إلا ما عجزت عنه.
وهذا إسناد صحيح.

Sayyiduna Malik ad-Dar i.e. treasurer of Umar (RA) relates:
once the people were experiencing a drought in the era of Umar (Ibn-ul-Khattab). Then a man walked up to the grave of Prophet and said: O Messenger of Allah! ask for rain from Allah for your Ummah for verily, they are being destroyed..

Then he saw the Prophet (SAW) in dream. The Prophet (SAW) said to him, Go over to Umar, give him my regards and tell him that the rain will come to you. And tell Umar that he should be on his toes, he should be on his toes (he should remain alert). When Umar [radhiallaahu anhu] was informed of this, he began to cry and he said, 'O My Lord, I will only leave out what I am unable to do.'

Ref's:
- Ibn Abi Shaybah's Musannaf vol.12 pg.31-32 / Volume 011, Page No. 118, Hadith Number 32538
- Dalaailun-nubuwwah of Imaam Bayhaqi vol.7 pg.47.
- Hafiz ibn Katheer [ra] has stated that the chain of narrators is 'good and strong' (Musnadul Faarooq vol.1 pg.223).
- Hafiz ibn Hajar has also indicated to its authenticity in Fathul Bari.

Authentification:
This Hadith is authenticated as **Sahih** by
►Imam Ibn Kathir in Al Bidayah Wan Nihayah Volume No. 5, Page No. 167
►Imam Qastallani in al-Mawahib-ul-laduniyyah (4:276)
► Ibn-e-Taymiya in Fi-Iqtida-as-Sirat-il-Mustaqim (Vol.1, Page 373)
nur.nu

Post by nur.nu »

3. Imam Al-Utbi's hadith about istighatha at the grave of the Prophet (s)

Imam Nawawi [ra] has mentioned that from among the etiquettes of visiting the grave of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] one should make Tawassul through Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] to Allah Ta'ala to accept his Du'aas.

ثم يرجع إلى موقفه الاول قبالة وجه رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم ويتوسل به في حق نفسه ويستشفع به إلى ربه سبحانه وتعالى ومن أحسن ما يقول ما حكاه الماوردي والقاضي أبو الطيب وسائر أصحابنا عن العتبي مستحسنين له قال (كنت جالسا عند قبر رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فجاء أعرابي فقال السلام عليك يا رسول الله سمعت الله يقول (ولو أنهم إذ ظلموا أنفسهم جاءوك فاستغفروا الله واستغفر لهم الرسول لوجدوا الله توابا رحيما) وقد جئتك مستغفرا من ذنبي مستشفعا بك إلى ربي

(The pilgrim) should turn towards the face of the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) and make him a means (tawassul) for the sake of himself and also seek his intercession (shafa'at) towards reaching God. The best thing he can say is what has been related by Allaamah al-Mawardi [ra], al-Qaadhi Abu Teeb [ra] and all our Ulama and they have all regarded it as commendable, and that is the incident of Imaam al-Utabi [ra] that he said,

'I was once seated by the grave of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam], when a Bedouin came and said, 'Peace be upon you, oh, Messenger of Allah. O Messenger of Allah, I have heard Almighty Allah say in the Qur'aan "And if they, when they had been unjust to themselves, had come to you (Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) and begged Allah's forgiveness and the messenger had begged forgiveness for them, indeed they would have found Allah All-Forgiving. Most merciful.(Al-Nisaa:64) hence, I have come to you in a state that I seek forgiveness of my sins by seeking your intercession by my Lord', thereafter he recited a few couplets and departed.

Imaam al-Utabi [ra] states, 'I then fell asleep and I saw Rasulullah [sallallahu alayhi wasallam] instructing me by the words, 'O Utabi, go to that Bedouin and give him the glad tidings that Almighty Allah has forgiven him.'

Ref's:
- Imam an-Nawawi in Al-Majmu', Volume No. 8
- Manaasikul-Imaam-Al-Nawawi pg.498-499 Maktabah Salafia
This incident has been related by many Ulama in their respective compilations. Some of them are:
- Haafiz Ibn-Katheer in his Tafseer,
- Allamah Abu-Muhammad ibn Qudaamah in Al-Mughni vol.3 pg.556,
- Imaam Abul-Faraj in Al-Sharhul-Kabeer vol.3 pg.495, etc.

Ibn Kathir quotes this hadith in his tafsir of Aya 4:64:

وقد ذكر جماعة منهم الشيخ أبو منصور الصباغ في كتابه الشامل الحكاية المشهورة عن العتبي قال : كنت جالسا عند قبر النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم فجاء أعرابي فقال : السلام عليك يا رسول الله سمعت الله يقول " ولو أنهم إذ ظلموا أنفسهم جاءوك فاستغفروا الله واستغفر لهم الرسول لوجدوا الله توابا رحيما " وقد جئتك مستغفرا لذنبي مستشفعا بك إلى ربي ثم أنشأ يقول : يا خير من دفنت بالقاع أعظمه فطاب من طيبهن القاع والأكم نفسي الفداء لقبر أنت ساكنه فيه العفاف وفيه الجود والكرم ثم انصرف الأعرابي فغلبتني عيني فرأيت النبي صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم في النوم فقال : يا عتبي الحق الأعرابي فبشره أن الله قد غفر له " .

Translation: Jama'at (Many scholars) have stated this tradition. One of them is Abu Mansur al-Sabbagh who writes in his book Al-Shamil Al-Hikayat-ul-mashhurah that:

According to ‘Utbi, once he was sitting beside the Prophet’s grave when a bedouin came and he said, “Peace be on you, O Allah’s Messenger. I have heard that Allah says: ‘(O beloved!) And if they had come to you, when they had wronged their souls, and asked forgiveness of Allah, and the Messenger also had asked forgiveness for them, they (on the basis of this means and intercession) would have surely found Allah the Granter of repentance, extremely Merciful.’ I have come to you, asking forgiveness for my sins and I make you as my intermediary before my Lord and I have come to you for this purpose.” Then he recited these verses: “O, the most exalted among the buried people who improved the worth of the plains and the hillocks! May I sacrifice my life for this grave which is made radiant by you, (the Prophet,) the one who is (an embodiment) of mercy and forgiveness.”

Then the bedouin went away and I fell asleep. In my dream I saw the Holy Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him). He said to me: O ‘Utbi, the bedouin is right, go and give him the good news that Allah has forgiven his sins.

Ref: Ibn Kathir, Tafsir-ul-Qur'an al-azim Volume 004, Page No. 140, Under the Verse 4:64
nur.nu

Post by nur.nu »

4. The Hadith of the Arab visiting the grave of the Prophet (s)

روى أبو صادق عن علي قال : قدم علينا أعرابي بعدما دفنا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم بثلاثة أيام , فرمى بنفسه على قبر رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وحثا على رأسه من ترابه ; فقال : قلت يا رسول الله فسمعنا قولك , ووعيت عن الله فوعينا عنك , وكان فيما أنزل الله عليك " ولو أنهم إذ ظلموا أنفسهم " الآية , وقد ظلمت نفسي وجئتك تستغفر لي . فنودي من القبر إنه قد غفر لك .

Its related from Abu Sadiq (ra) that Imam Ali (ra) said: "Three days after burying the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) The Araabi did come and did throw himself on the grave of the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him), he took the earth and threw it on his head. He said: "Ya Rasulallah! (Peace Be Upon Him) You did speak and we did hear, you learned from Allah and we did learn from you. Between those things which Allah did send you, is following: (4:64) I am the one, which is a sinner and now I did came to you, so that you may ask for me." After that a call from the grave did came: "Theres no doubt, you are forgiven!"

Referecnes:
Tafsir al-Qurtubi, al-Jami li Ahkam al-Quran Volume 006, Page No. 439, Under the Verse, 4:64

Tafsir of Imam al-Suyuti (quoting al-Bayhaqi)
" وأخرج البيهقي عن أبي حرب الهلالي قال : حج أعرابي إلى باب مسجد رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أناخ راحلته فعقلها ثم دخل المسجد حتى أتى القبر ووقف بحذاء وجه رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فقال : بأبي أنت وأمي يا رسول الله جئتك مثقلا بالذنوب والخطايا مستشفعا بك على ربك لأنه قال في محكم تنزيله ولو إنهم إذ ظلموا أنفسهم جاؤوك فاستغفروا الله واستغفر لهم الرسول لوجدوا الله توابا رحيما
Ref: Imam al-Bayhaqi (rah) has narrated from Abi Harb al-Hilali who said:... (and then he mentioned the incident of Araabi) [ Imam al-Suyuti in Tafsir Dur al Manthur under 4:64)

The incident of the Bedouin has also been recorded by the following:

1. Bayhaqi in Shu‘ab-ul-Imaan (Volume no: 3, Page no:495-496, Hadith No#4178) Click here for Scanned Page (130)

2. Ibn Qudamah in al-Mughni- (Book : Kitab Al Hajj Chapter : Wa Yustahabbu Ziyarat Qabr An NABI SAW Volume : 5 Page : 465) Click here for Scanned Page (131)

3. Ibn ‘Asakir in Tahdhīb tarikh Dimashq al-kabir popularly known as Tarikh/Tahdhib Ibn ‘Asakir as quoted by Imam as-Subki in Shifa’-us-siqam fī ziyaat khayr-il-anam (pp. 46-7).

4. Imam Abu Hayyan al-Andalusi in Tafsir al-Bahr al-Muheet by (3/282, Dar al Fikr edition) or Book : Tafseer bahr Al Muheet Volume : 3 Page : 269 Under : Sorat An Nisa Ayat number 64 Click here for Scanned Page (132)

5. Imam al-Mutaqi al-Hindi in Kanz ul Amaal (1/714 #10422) or Book : Tafseer bahr Al Muheet Volume : 3 Page : 269 Under : Sorat An Nisa Ayat number 64 Click here for Scanned Page (133)

6. Imam al-Nawawi again in his al-Majmu' (8/202-203)

7. Ibn Hajar Haythami in al-Jawhar-ul-munazzam (p. 51).

And many others. None of these Imams called it shirk or Bidah.

Return to “Istighatha | Om att tilllala de döda och osynliga väsen”