en: Physical description of Imam Ahmad b. Hanbal

nur.nu

en: Physical description of Imam Ahmad b. Hanbal

Post by nur.nu »

Physical description of Imam Abu ‘Abdillah Ahmad b. Hanbal:
- may Allah be pleased with him
From Al-Dhahabi’s ‘Siyar A’lam an-Nubala”
http://iskandrani.wordpress.com/2008/04 ... an-nubala/

Ibn Dharih al-’Ukbari said: “I requested to see Ahmad bin Hambal. So, I greeted him, and he was an old man who dyed his hair. He was tall and extremely dark.”

Muhammad bin ‘Abbas an-Nahwi said: “I saw Ahmad bin Hambal with a handsome face, well-formed, and dyeing his hair with henna that was not too dark. He had black hairs in his beard, and I saw his clothes extremely white. When I saw him, he was wearing a turban and an izar.”

[9/438]

‘Abd al-Malik al-Maymuni said: “I do not know that I have ever seen anyone who wore cleaner clothes, was more attentive to trimming his moustache and grooming the hair on his head and body, or wore purer and whiter garments than Ahmad bin Hambal.”

[9/454]

One man said: “In Khurasan, they did not think that Ahmad resembled a human being. They thought that he resembled the Angels.”

[9/456]

al-Fadl bin Ziyad said: “I saw Abi ‘Abdillah in the winter, and he was wearing two shirts with a colored vest between them, and maybe he was wearing a shirt with a heavy sweater. And I saw him with a turban over a hood and heavy outer garment. So, I heard Aba ‘Imran al-Warkani saying to him: “O Aba ‘Abdillah! All of these clothes?” So, he laughed and said: “I cannot stand the cold,” and he would also wear the hood without a turban.”

al-Fadl bin Ziyad said: “I saw Abi ‘Abdillah in the summer wearing a shirt, trousers, and robe.”

[9/461]

Return to “Imam Ahmad d. 241 H.”